Friday, September 16, 2016

Chicken with tomato cream sauce

While looking for something wonderful to make with chicken, I stumbled upon this recipe on All Recipes.  I was intrigued.  And being a P in the Myers Briggs, I can almost NEVER follow directions. It can be a blessing.  Or a curse.

The original recipe called for this:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
3/4 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter

Directions
In a saucepan, saute' onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Make sure it doesn't burn. Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and continue to boil 5 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in whipping cream and butter. Reduce heat and simmer 5 more minutes.

I made some changes.

I use two cans of tomatoes, skipped the sugar and the salt, added a tablespoon of chicken base, added a tablespoon of oregano, and upped the heavy cream.

I added cooked chicken to the mix when it was mostly done and let the chicken heat up in the sauce. I serve it over pasta, any kind will do.  For leftovers, I add a little chicken broth and heavy cream while heating it up.

It is utterly amazing.

No comments: