Sunday, May 1, 2011

A nice slow cooked pork shoulder

Our lazy Sundays are coming to winter's end.  Soon our Sundays will be mostly composed of sunrises, crashing waves and walks on the beach.   Having a Sunday to lounge and a pork shoulder to cook, I thought I would fire up the slow cooker before storing it for the summer.  I found what looks to be a fabulous recipe, again courtesy of Allrecipes.com.


A Nice Slow-Cooked Pork

INGREDIENTS:
1 (3 pound) pork shoulder roast
1 quart vegetable broth  (I used chicken broth and cut it in half)
1 cup sherry (per others input, used 1/2 a cup)
3 cups peeled, chopped potatoes (I used 3 potatoes as that's all I had)
2 cups pearl onions (I used a large, white onion quartered)
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (only because Paul doesn't eat mushrooms)
1 tablespoon dried rosemary (I used fresh and more because I LOVE rosemary)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the pork roast in a slow cooker. Pour in the vegetable broth and sherry. Mix in the potatoes, onions, mushrooms, rosemary, and pepper. (I set everything on top)
2. Cover, and cook on Low at least 8 hours, to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Season with salt to taste.

As you can see, I almost never follow directions.  It's sort of a thing for me but I live with it.  :)  I also added five carrots, two cloves of garlic and a little red wine vinegar.  Many of the comments said that there was too much liquid so I cut way back and will check it throughout the day.  It looks delicious.

No comments: